Dear clients and friends,
As many of you know I have been hard at work. At times, I am certain y'all have wondered where I had gone? Well let me tell ya, when Aesop's fables and popular psychology starts to make sense, I wondered if even I had gone off the deep end! But you know what?, it's as they say, "life begins when you leave your comfort zone" and "if not me, then who? If not now, then when?" It was time to put up or.......
In the coming months you will start to notice how much things have changed. Planning & preparation done, long hours behind me now, the next iteration is now here and it's called:
Steele Health + Wellness Centre
Moving forward, you need not fear though, Massage Therapy treatments and online booking will always be here. Additionally, treatment using Active Release Techniques®, Acupuncture or the manual therapies will always be available for your mind, muscles & joints.
Going forward, what has changed is the introduction of Exercise is Medicine® Canada. EIM and EIMC is a global initiative delivered by founding partners ACSM* and CSEP** to encourage primary care Physicians to review every patients physical activity program, every visit and/or encourage the appropriate use of qualified exercise professionals in the prevention and treatment of chronic disease. In the words of Dr. Bob Sallis, FACSM, founding Task Force Chair of the Exercise is Medicine® initiative:
“What if there was one prescription that could prevent and treat dozens of diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension and obesity? Would you prescribe it to your patients? Certainly.”
Specifically speaking, did you know that regular physical activity can:
- Reduce mortality and the risk of recurrent breast cancer by approximately 50%.
- Lower the risk of colon cancer by over 60%.
- Reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease by approximately 40%.
- Lower the risk of developing type II diabetes by 58%.
- Be twice as effective in treating type II diabetes than the standard insulin prescription.
- Can decrease depression as effectively as Prozac or behavioral therapy.
- Adults with better muscle strength have a 20% lower risk of mortality (33% lower risk of cancer specific mortality) than adults with low muscle strength.
Your wellbeing is my commitment and I intend to keep delivering on that promise!
Simon Steele RMT, CSEP-CPT
*American College of Sports Medicine
**Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology